Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Another successful week

I have really been getting into my research this week, which has been very refreshing. I am really enjoying the process and I am realizing the amount I love conducting research could really stick with me for the rest of my life. I could definitely see myself doing research in the future--qualitative or quantitative. On another note, I have finished a second round of edits for Auspex and I am again realizing how interested I am in research and the writing research craft. I am beginning to see how instrumental the Writing Center has been in figuring out what I really enjoy doing.

Session Responses
My tutoring feedback this week has actually all been positive. I was not completely able to be conscious about my brainstorming tutoring methods, as I had planned last week. I think the strategies I use in a session really depend on the situation; yesterday, I had a session where I used a new method that I had never used before. The writer came in with a few free-written paragraphs and after she read the paper out loud we went through and highlighted sentences that could be part of a thesis and the broader paper. After doing this, we were able to develop a thesis and organize an outline. Another theme I am noticing in my tutoring feedback is effectively helping writers talk out their ideas by asking prompting questions. For a lot of people, verbally explaining their paper and ideas can really help at any process in the paper, whether it is for brainstorming, narrowing a topic, outlining, or clarifying ideas.  I think for future sessions, I will continue to be cognizant about my tutoring strategies and when I apply them. I will push myself to ask questions like, "What about the session made me pick the tutoring strategy that I used?" and "What brainstorming strategies do I use most often?" 

I included some more cat memes... Yay!

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection! I am adoring the memes and your abilities to pinpoint different aspects of our work in the writing center that are affecting you and your aspirations. Truly, there is more to our work than tutoring, and I am glad that you are reflection on the rest of your work as well.
    I am noticing that you are doing a lot of describing of what happens during your sessions, which is awesome. However, I think that you might need to more critically reflect on how certain things worked or did not work. For example, you describe the tutoring techniques that you applied when working with different students, but you did not discuss whether those techniques seemed to work, and I am curious! An important aspect of this discussion is the inclusion of "evidence": how did you know that a certain technique worked for writers? what did they write in their feedback/session report that showed some significant progress? All of this would really enhance your articulation of what happens during a session.
    Altogether, you're doing great things and being hilarious and terrific like ya just are. I am loving the conceptualization taking place here. And again, loving the memes!

    ReplyDelete