Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Reflection 1

Since we have started the tutor feedback section on the session summaries, my feedback has been mostly positive. A lot of people comment on how I am helpful with brainstorming and organizing, including my weekly writers. As one writer said, "Although we rarely edit or write pieces in the meetings, I feel as though she is teaching me the importance of organizing my thoughts before I write." When I approach brainstorming and organization, I tend to use several different strategies depending on the writer's preferences. The methods include free writing, talking out ideas, and outlining. I am not totally sure about how I consciously decide what method to use, but I know it really depends on what the writers comes prepared with or what their preferences are. Often, I will give them several different choices for how we could proceed with the session and let them choose. I hope to focus more in the future on how I make these decisions and if I am pushing my own brainstorming methods.

Some of the constructive criticism I received included structuring the session using better time management. In the future, I could work on quickly planning out the sessions more efficiently based on high-order concerns. I also feel like I have trouble seeing the paper as a whole when I am just hearing someone reading their paper rather than reading it myself as they speak. Letting writers read the paper out loud helps them hear sentence-level issues, but I need to physically read the paper in order to see things as a whole and distinguish what the high-order and low-order concerns are.

Another writer told me not to be afraid to tell them what is wrong with the paper. I know one of my weaknesses is my lack of assertion and fear of hurting the writer's self confidence. Some writers feel like the tutor is sugar coating, and I think I need to be more aware of this when giving my feedback on a paper. I think this concept may be something I want to experiment with in the future while reflecting on my sessions.


No comments:

Post a Comment